It is vital your filter cartridge is maintained correctly to maximize its life and usefulness.
The importance of a well maintained cartridge
The life of a filter cartridge
depends on how you treat it.
Filter clogging is caused by soaps, chemicals, perspiration, body fats, oils and fine particles of dust or dirt.
Maximise the life of your filter
There are specific things you can do to maximise the life of your filter:
- Maintain the pool water chemistry in proper balance.
- Clean the cartridge in accordance with its cleaning instructions.
- Do not scrub the filter with a stiff brush.
- Do not use a high pressure hose.
- Rotate two cartridges to prolong the life of the filters considerably.
Instructions for cleaning your filter cartridge
All cartridge filters should be cleaned at least every 2 months (we advise 1 monthly during the Qld Summer). If you follow these cleaning procedures you will ensure the maximum life of the cartridge:
- Remove the cartridge from the filter housing or skimmer box.
- Wash the filter using a garden hose working from the top down. Do not use a high pressure hose or a brush.
- Soak the cartridge for at least an hour (overnight is preferable) in a cartridge cleaning solution / filter degreaser which you can purchase in-store.
- Rinse the cartridge once more with a hose to remove any remaining oils or cleaning solution.
Eventually your cartridge filter will block and will need to be replaced - usually within 1 to 2 years - depending on the amount of use.
Frequently Asked QuestionsWhen do I need to clean my cartridge filter?Because a filter is designed to collect unwanted particles, debris, oils, soaps etc, it will need to be cleaned periodically. Basically the more you use your spa or pool, the more often you have to clean the cartridge filter. From very high usage (every 2-3 weeks) to low usage (every 2 [...]
What is a Salt Water Chlorinator?Basically it is a piece of equipment installed alongside your filter equipment that makes chlorine out of salt water, and then sends that back to your pool, to keep it healthy and clear.Why Install a Saltwater Chlorinator?We will always advise our customers to install a Chlorinator on their swimming pools [...]
If you have just installed or have moved into a house with a Sand Filter and you have never used one before, then this will help you.How to Backwash your Sand Filter - Simple InstructionsImportant: Always turn the pump off between moving valve handle Turn your pump off at the pool main power supplyPress the valve [...]
The costliest mistake that we see year after year is when pools are neglected during the cooler months. Even though pools do not need the same amount of effort as they do during the Spring and Summer months, if we can winterise the pool and then do a small amount of regular maintenance it will mean that it [...]